Tech devices are developing at an incredible rate, and our lives as consumers are getting more and more convenient by the day. Earbuds, or small wireless headphones, have become one of the most popular devices on the market, and for very good reason. You may already know how easy it is to use earbuds, but you are probably wondering: How do earbuds work?
Earbuds work with Bluetooth, a short-range wireless technology that pairs two or more devices. Luckily, connecting earbuds via Bluetooth is incredibly simple and requires no technological expertise. With Bluetooth, you can listen to your chosen audio entertainment from your smart device anywhere, anytime.
In this article, we are going to discuss exactly how these seemingly magical devices work, as well as how the earbuds work with your phone, how to connect them yourself, the pros and cons of using earbuds, and even which brand offers the best earbuds. So keep reading! We have everything you need to know about how earbuds work right here.
How Do Wireless Earbuds Work?
By definition, all earbuds are wireless. Wired headphones can do the same thing, play your audio entertainment straight to little earplugs, but they are not technically earbuds.
People love earbuds because they are small, fit perfectly into your ear, and do not have an annoying cord attached. But how do earbuds work?
Wireless earbuds have an internal chargeable battery and they connect to your smartphone or device via Bluetooth. So what does that actually mean for the way you use this device?
Here is what you need to know about how earbuds work:
- No matter which brand you purchase, earbuds will come in a chargeable case that plugs into the wall.
- Once the battery is full, the earbuds will last for hours before having to be charged again.
- You need to connect your earbuds to the smart device from where you want to play your audio entertainment.
- You can connect via Bluetooth by turning on the earbuds, then navigating to the Bluetooth menu on your device, turning it on, and selecting the earbuds from the available list.
- Once they have connected once, every time you turn your earbuds on, they should automatically pair.
- If you are using several devices at different times, you will need to disconnect the earbuds from one device to connect them to the other.
- With most earbuds, you can pause, play, and skip songs or programs by pressing a button on one or both of the buds.
So that is how earbuds work! Although it may seem like magic, it is actually quite a simple system. Most devices these days can and do use Bluetooth for wireless connections, and once you know how to do it, pairing any two of your smart devices with Bluetooth is incredibly easy!
What Are True Wireless Earbuds?
You may notice that some earbuds are labeled as “true wireless earbuds.” Although this can be confusing, the truth is, true wireless earbuds are simply audio-playing devices that do not have any cords between the two buds or to connect them to your device.
While some wireless headphones actually have a wire that connects the two buds, they work in the same way, via Bluetooth. So everything in you are learning in this article will apply to how they work!
Realistically, the vernacular definition for earbuds is two small buds that are wireless in every way, but it is important that you understand the various offerings so you purchase the device that is right for you.
How Do Earbuds Work With Your Phone?
As you now know, short-range wireless signals can be sent via antenna, similar to radio signals, from your smart devices to your earbuds by using Bluetooth.
Essentially, every smartphone, laptop, or tablet available today has Bluetooth capabilities, and on every device, the step-by-step instructions for pairing earbuds via Bluetooth are the same.
Luckily, almost every set of wireless earbuds work with both IOS, i.e. Apple products, as well as Android devices.
If you have never used Bluetooth before on your phone, here is what you need to do to turn it on and pair your new earbuds:
- Open the SETTINGS menu on your iPhone or Android smartphone.
- Find the BLUETOOTH option (sometimes you will see a small icon that looks like two triangles stacked on each other.)
- Turn the Bluetooth toggle to ON.
- Take your earbuds out of the case to turn them on. Some earbuds cases have a Bluetooth pairing button you may need to press, while for others, simply having them on will already prepare them to pair.
- Look at your phone, in the Bluetooth menu, the available connections will appear by name.
- Click your earbuds to connect the two.
- Once they have paired once, the two devices will stay connected unless you opt to disconnect them, in which case, you need to go back into the Bluetooth menu, select the earbuds, and click DISCONNECT.
Now your earbuds will play anything you are watching or listening to on your phone directly into your ears! You can keep your phone in your pocket, bag, or even across the room.
Wireless earbuds for Android or IOS devices work exactly the same, so no matter what phone you have, the directions are the same.
Consumers love earbuds because it means there is no annoying cord that gets knotted up or in the way, and they are a great option for exercising, cleaning your home, traveling, and pretty much any other activity you can think of!
How Do You Use Earbuds for the First Time?
While hopefully you now understand how earbuds work, it is important to understand how to use them for the first time.
First and foremost, you need to charge your earbuds as they will certainly not work without the battery. To do so, just plug in the case to the wall with the earbuds placed snuggly inside.
Usually, there is a small LED light that will turn green or white when the battery is fully charged.
Take the earbuds out of the case to turn them on, then follow the steps above to connect them via Bluetooth to your phone or smart device.
That is all there is to it! Your earbuds will now continue to work seamlessly as long as they are charged.
Range ; Quality of Bluetooth Connection
Even though you now understand that earbuds work with Bluetooth, there are a few more things you need to know, including the Bluetooth’s maximum range and sound quality.
One important question that many potential users ask is: How far away can earbuds be from a phone or smart device?
As you now know, Bluetooth works similarly to radio waves, however, the signal is not nearly as strong. In fact, earbuds have to be within 30 feet of the smart device it is connected to in order to function properly. Luckily, 30 feet is a fairly long distance, and most of us are never that far away from our phones anyway.
Another common query is whether or not earbuds work with as good of sound quality as wired headphones. Unfortunately, the answer is no. While Bluetooth sound through earbuds is completely sufficient, it is not quite as good as through wired headphones.
Because the data needs to be compressed in order to be sent from your phone to earbuds, it can become slightly distorted. However, the fewer data that means to be transmitted, the better the connection will sound.
That means that basic entertainment such as music and podcasts will sound just fine.
Overall, most people do not notice the decrease in sound quality when using earbuds instead of wired headphones, especially if you usually opt for the affordable pair that came with your phone or you purchased at the checkout counter.
Can You Use Earbuds without WiFi?
Although you may assume that Bluetooth because it is an over-the-air signaling system needs WiFi to work, it is not true!
While most devices these days do use WiFi, earbuds don’t need it! That means you can listen to your audio entertainment, anywhere anytime, even if you do not have service on your phone or cannot connect to a wireless internet network!
That being said, if you are listening to Spotify, Apple Music, an online podcast, Youtube, or any other app that requires an internet connection or data, the apps themselves will not play your entertainment without it.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Earbuds?
Understanding how earbuds work is important, but before you decide to purchase some for yourself, you may want to understand the other pros and cons of these handy listening devices.
Pros of Earbuds
The main reason why wireless earbuds have become so popular so fast is because of their many pros! While there are quite a lot of advantages to choosing earbuds over wired headphones, here are just a few of our favorites:
- Without annoying cords, earbuds work great when you are exercising, traveling, cleaning, cooking, gaming, or really any other activity where you want to be free to move.
- You can control your audio by pressing the built-in buttons on the sides of the earbuds.
- They are quick to charge and last for hours.
- Earbuds work with Bluetooth, and you do not need a WiFi connection to listen to your favorite tunes.
Cons of Earbuds
While there are not many, the cons of earbuds could make your decision easier as to whether or not earbuds will work for you.
- Because earbuds work without a cord and are quite small, they can be easy to lose.
- If you do not charge them and hit the road, unfortunately, they will not work.
- They are more expensive than corded headphones.
If these cons did not deter you and you have decided that you want to get a pair of earbuds for yourself, you are probably wondering which make and model you should go for.
What Are the Best Earbuds?
While there certainly are a lot of options for earbuds in today's market, the best option has to be our BLXBuds.
And we're not just saying that! We have the data to back it up.
So let's find out, why are the BLXBuds wireless earbuds the best option for you?
BLXBuds wireless earbuds are decked out with all the latest advances in audio technology to deliver the clearest full stereo-quality sound with noise reduction!
BLXBuds Bluetooth earbuds are dependable, lightweight, and comfortable, plus fully compatible with all of your Bluetooth electronic devices.
If that's not enough, here are a few other great features of BLXBuds earbuds:
- The latest Bluetooth 5.1 technology for reliable connection and effortless pairing with an impressive 33ft range.
- They recharge rapidly and last for 4.5 hours.
- BLXBuds are comfortable in your ears, even after hours of use.
- A dual wireless microphone facilitates voice calls and video conferencing.
- They are water-resistant in case of an accident.
- BLX Earbuds can pair with any iOS or Android device.
While of course there are several other choices of earbuds that will work just fine, our sound is truly unmatched.
If you have any more questions as to what the BLXbuds wireless earbuds have to offer, you can check out our site right here!
The Bottom Line
Hopefully, you now completely understand how earbuds work, the pros and cons of opting for wireless earbuds, and which earbuds are the best option for you!
But just in case you forgot, let’s do a little recap.
How do earbuds work?
Earbuds work as small wireless headphones through a Bluetooth connection that will work with every smart device. All you need to do is charge the earbuds, turn them on, and pair them via Bluetooth to your smartphone to start listening to your audio entertainment in seconds.
The best part is that true wireless earbuds work with literally no tech knowledge necessary, so you can purchase them today and start enjoying them right away!Get your BLXbuds Today!